Contacting the Small Bodies Node
- SBN Principal Investigator:
- Mike A'Hearn
- SBN Manager:
- Mailing Address:
- Department of Astronomy
Small Bodies Node
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-2421
- Shipping (UPS, FedEx, etc) Address:
- name of person receiving shipment
Astronomy Dept., UMd
Farm Dr Bldg 224 Rm 1204
College Park, MD 20742-2421
- SBN Office Phone:
- (301) 405-5024
- SBN Fax:
- (301) 405-3538
Directions to the Small Bodies Node
The Small Bodies Node is located on the College Park campus of the University of Maryland, in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. The SBN office suite is housed on the second floor, wing 3, of the Computer and Space Sciences Building, across from Parking Lot B/RR/5 (Regents Dr. Garage).
- Take exit 27 or 25 from I95/I495 (Washington Beltway) south onto US Rt. 1 towards College Park.
- Go for about 2 miles, turn right onto Campus Drive.
- Turn right at the circle (marked with a big "M") onto Regents Drive.
- Turn left at the first stop sign onto Stadium Drive.
- Turn left into Regents Drive Garage (Parking lot B/RR/5).
- Turn left for the visitor parking spaces. Park, then register at the digital paystation. Other spaces in the garage are free after 4pm and during weekends.
- Return on foot to Stadium Drive and cross it to reach the Computer and Space Sciences Building
Below is a map of the area on campus around the SBN office. The SBN office suite is in Wing 3 (yellow highlight) on the second floor on the end by Farm Drive. [The Astronomy main office and most department member offices are in Wing 2 of the Computer and Space Science building (red highlight and green marker). Some member offices are Wing 1 (violet highlight) and Wing 3 (yellow highlight).] Two nearby parking locations are indicated. Click on any place marker to get more information or driving directions to that place.
Parking for visitors is available in the Regents Drive Garage (numbered spaces only) and the Paint Branch Visitor Lot. (See map above or PDF map of all campus visitor parking.) The Computer and Space Sciences building is across the street to the north of the garage, and a 5-10 minute walk away from the Paint Branch Lot.
There are paystations in these lots which can accept cash, credit cards, or department validation codes. Parking in non-visitor spaces in the garage is free after 4 pm and on weekends.
More information is available from the Department of Transportation Services.
Campus & Vicinity
Local Road Names:
- Baltimore Ave = Baltimore Blvd = Route 1. The main entrance to campus is located at about the 7600 block of Baltimore Ave.
- University Blvd = Greenbelt Road. It's called "University Blvd" west of Route 1 and "Greenbelt Rd" east of Route 1. The Stadium Drive entrance to campus is on University Blvd.
- The Washington, D.C. Beltway is a circular road comprised of routes 495 and 95. It runs around Washington, through Maryland and Virginia, crossing the Potomac River at two points. The "Outer Loop" of the Beltway is those lanes of traffic which travel counter-clockwise around D.C.; the "Inner Loop" is the lanes that travel clockwise around D.C. The Inner and Outer loops are just the two sets of travel lanes of the same road - the Beltway.
- Baltimore also has a Beltway, but its route number is 695. Traffic reports on WTOP seldom mention the Baltimore Beltway, and when they do they always identify it as "the Baltimore Beltway," frequently adding "Route 695."
- ASCII character map of the main campus entrance and the Computer and Space Sciences building.